Saturday, November 17, 2018

#Alphabet Haiku: This Week - Letter T - Tuatara




 #Alphabet Haiku: This Week - Letter T - Tuatara 
Photo Credit 
Alphabet Haiku which is a Weekly Challenge of Abigail Gronway, this week it is the letter (T)

two tuataras
together taste tepid treats
trusting true tonic

How to pronounce tuatara:   too-uh-tahr-uh

Author note: What is a Tuatara is a small to medium sized reptiles endemic to New Zealand, can live well over 100 years. Tuatara are greenish brown and grey, and measure up to 80 cm (31 in) from head to tail-tip, their dentition, in which two rows of teeth in the upper jaw overlap one row on the lower jaw, what is  more unusual in having a pronounced photoreceptive eye, the “third eye”. They are able to hear, although no external ear is present, also have excellent vision. Their reproduction is very slowly, taking 10 to 20 years to reach sexual maturity. Males don’t have a penis, reproducing by the male lifting the female tail and placing his vent over hers.Mating occurs in midsummer, females mate and lay eggs once every four years, their eggs have a soft, parchment-like shell which she digs and lays into the ground.
Their diet consists of frogs, lizards, and bird’s eggs, chicks, beetles, crickets, and spiders, today the tuatara is nearly extinct on the mainland of New Zealand, only living on small island around NZ.

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful Haiku and a delightful introduction to a new reptile that I previously did not have the acquaintance of! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ethan for your visit and comment. It is quite an amazing reptile that has very interesting points of its body which is not the norm of reptiles.
    I have another NZ blog you may like to have a look. Here's the link. ttps://kiwinana.blogtown.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a h at the beginning of the link, hope you can get it to work Ethan, Blogspot can be a challenge at times

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the link, is that new site working okay? I haven't found a good way to link my blogs together and I can't tell how to get my blogspot working. Reminds me of my days with writing.com. I feel like every time I find a way to get things to work for me, the menu or icons change I am just guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again, not only have you given us an amazing Alphabet Haiku, but you have also taught us something new about one of God's creations native to your beautiful Motherland. I never cease to be amazed at His creativity in nature. Thank you, Elsie, for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to have the opportunity to read your posts again. Also thank you for the information about Tuatara I've never known before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an interesting post...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Elsie! I came across your name and it made me think of you! Not sure how much you're blogging these days. Sending you blessings. Feel free to be in touch if you want to. My email is info@forgivingconnects.com.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete